World of Wisdom

Sustainable Transformation Camp @ Wow August 2020

Sustainable transformation camp
Welcome to the Sustainable transformation camp. I will be hosting 3 live panels/podcasts with awesome people talking about the transformation we are heading into. If you wanna help out facilitating and/or wanna set up a session of your own that relates to this reach out! I have a zoom room set up.

How this will ge done:
This will be done over Zoom and recorded. Each session is 2 hours. This Zoom room
We’ll fishbowl the first hour with the invited guests.
Second hour will be interactive. Q&A and workshop - the idea is to invite you to examine your relationship with the topics, your addictions, and if there is a path towards recreating that relationship in a regenerative way… Curious? Come join us!
[Session schedule]

The inquiry

Sustainable transformation camp wants to explore sustainability and how it relates to the current system. Less interested in the symptoms that we so often discuss and instead looking at the “why’s” with the ambition of trying to get to the core. We would like to discover what underlying mechanisms and “truths” we have to understand to be able to effectively change the current paradigm. A starting point in my inquiry has been What would the world look like if we didn’t substitute meaning with stuff/stories?

Topics for now:

• Clothes and Sustainable Transformation. Consumerism and perpetual growth are -isms in marketing. Do they have to be? What is the role for marketing in a sustainable society? Could marketing be a generator for a bottom up approach? This will be explored through the lens of the fashion industry.
    Panel: Laura Hoch, Chemist at Patagonia and Jacob Dworsky, Founder of Asket (slow fashion pioneers)
    When? 15th Aug 19:00-21:00 CET.

• We tell ourselves stories. All the time. Marketers create a story that you spin into your formation of self and definition of (self)worth. What if the focus on the dualistic narrative that highlight the conflict and competition wouldn’t be the one we pushed? What if there was something called “enough stuff”? A non-materialistic story? Is there even room for a different story? What could that story look like?
    Panel: Martin Söndergaard, PhD student at Stockholm School of Economics, Bill Mehleisen, Mandalah and Seek Human.
    When: 13th Aug 18:30-20:30 CET.

• Innovation. There is a “truth” in innovation companies that it is never the best technology that win. But there are certainly things one can do to improve the probability of success. In this inquiry we will look at what it takes to change the paradigm. How have new technology been scaled? New ideas? How does one expand the box so that we can also incorporate truly new perspectives and ideas? How do we scale innovation? What is required of an innovation for it to be scalable?
    Panel: Mike Pilliod at Testla, Mayra Kapteyn at INK (design and innovation company committed to social impact).
    When? 14th Aug 19:00-21:00 CET.

• Beyond Sustainability. Emerging… Panel: Annika Shelly at Save the Children & you?!

Wanna help out?
Add a session of your own?
Just have input on the topics?

Reach out here or at amit[at]worldofwisdom.io

<3

2 Likes

Amit, I would like to help out. In particular the innovation panel. (I work for a hybrid -think-tank and management consultant- department at Save the Children, Sweden. We have innovated new ways of working w companies). Together w my crew -some Vinnova and Ted Talk Co-Pirates, I have founded Unk Unk Labs helping companies to pivot their businesses in light of value chain challenges.

3 Likes

Me and @Annika.shelly will do a session on “Beyond Sustainability” that we are currently co-creating. It would be beautiful to get another person in there to add to the dynamic:

Here are some suggested outlines for it… (work in progress):
v1
Unk-Unk Labs: How to get to the next level
The relationship between companies and non-profits is often transactional. At best, companies will send staff to help with an issue and provide funds. At worst, it’s a small cash donation (read. brand-building exercise), school-building or baby-kissing exercise with the right hand while causing untold damage with the left. And non-profits, understanding that companies have massive impact on the society and the environment, will take the money (to do good) but keep the company at arms length, continue to perform CPR and miss out on what companies have to offer. It is time to marry holistic, systems thinking with the four Ps: People. Planet. Profit. Purpose. Welcome to Unk-Unk Labs. A process to foster challenge-driven innovation, to spin value-chain challenges -social and environmental- into solid gold for companies. Making a billion dollars by solving a problem for a billion people. In your own backyard. And helping non-profits find real ways to engage with companies beyond the transactional, towards the transformational."

v2
Beyond Sustainability
In order to move beyond Sustainability to a regenerative paradigm we cannot have companies that are doing whatever they can to maximise profit on one and and then try to repari it by donations on the other. This has to be one integrated system where business realise that there is no business if there isn’t society. What are they questions we miss when discussion sustainability? How come we can get endless budgets and “playtime” for innovation but not for sustainability? When did sustainability go from being a process to a project? How do we get the toddlers in the back seat to stop asking “are we there yet”? Annika Shelly founder of Unk-Unk Labs from Save the Children i Sweden and XXX will explore these topics in this workshop.

@Annika.shelly I had a flash of something… what do you think of this as the framing for our discussion on Beyond Sustainable Transformation:
There is a current notion in some cases that Sustainability is a Project not a process. In that frame it it not uncommon that “Sustainability” becomes a focus on the “less bad”. Why isn’t it that we instead try to get straight to what is good?
In this workshop we will will try see how we can break frame and get beyond “less bad” or even “good” by challenging the processes, mindsets and restraints we put sustainability in. Is there a way to transcend into a paradigm where we have a proper shot at regeneration not only with regard to our relationship with the planet but also with other humans and species by focusing on perfecting the process rather than believing we can get to a result?
<3

1 Like

@amit Absolutely. That shift - go for good - rather than less bad- & talk about process- is integral to achieving results. And regardless who is in the audience, we’ll be able to reach decision-maker and passionate environmental campaign er in equal measure. If our baseline is about the tools - UnkUnk and Sustainable Comedy - the resulting dialogue will be going for the greater good. We’re selling the sizzle (not just the sausage)

1 Like